Our prior blog focused on streamlining the trial balance to smooth your Medicare cost reporting process. This blog will focus on the necessary stats for the Medicare cost report.
Make sure to track your visits/ patient days correctly by payor (Medicare, Medicaid, Title V Social Security, and Other) and by whichever of the following divisions applicable is applicable to your facility:
- Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs)
- Patient Days
- Admits & Discharges
- Track days, admits, and discharges for assisted living facilities separately
- Hospices – Patient Days by Level of care
- Continuous Home Care
- Routine Home Care
- Inpatient Respite Care
- General Inpatient Care
- Also, for Inpatient Respite & General Inpatient, how many of each were contracted (i.e., patients who did not reside in your actual facility)?
- Home Health Agencies (HHAs) – Visits by Discipline
- Skilled Nursing
- Other (e.g., Homemakers, Personal Care Attendants)
- Federally Qualified Health Centers & Rural Health Clinics (FQHCs and RHCs) – type of visits, broken out three ways:
- Medical vs. Mental Health (Medicare, Medicaid, Title V (Social Security), and Other)
- If applicable, total visits performed by interns & residents as part of a GME program broken out by Medicare, Medicaid, Title V, and Other
- Visits by staff type:
- Contract Physicians
- Staff Physicians
- Physician Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Nurse Midwives
- Registered Nurses (performing visiting nurse services, not support services to other staff)
- LPNs (performing visiting nurse services, not support services to other staff)
- Clinical Psychologists
- Clinical Social Workers
- For FQHC: Registered Dietician/ Cert DSMT/ MNT Educator
Would you like an expert consultant to take a look at your tracked visits and advise how to better position your facility for next year? Would you like a consultant to review a prepared cost report and give you comments and suggestions?
Contact Progressive Provider Services or call us at 800-447-2540 – over 30 years of cost reporting experience that you can put to good use!